The families and members of NAMI Nebraska are here to help! We offer understanding to anyone concerned about mental illnesses and the treatment of mental illness.
Mental illnesses are brain disorders that are biologically based medical problems. Untreated, they can cause severe disturbances in thinking, feeling and relating. This results in substantially diminished capacity for dealing with the ordinary demands of life. Mental illness can affect persons of any age and occur in any family. They are not caused by bad parenting and not evidence of weakness of character.
A champion for recovery, NAMI Nebraska is a statewide not for profit, membership organization that provides high-quality education and support services through its affiliates to those whose lives are touched by mental illness. It collaborates with other organizations, governmental bodies, and advocates to improve services and quality of life for people with mental illnesses and their families.
NAMI Nebraska shall: develop a mental illness agenda which reflects the needs of Nebraskans; collaborate and conduct advocacy at the state level; monitor activities of state agencies; provide technical assistance in the development of new affiliates; encourage, and support Affiliates by providing information and technical assistance; provide state conferences, and report on state issues to NAMI National.
NAMI Nebraska will accomplish its mission by:
- Improving the quality of life for persons with mental illness
- Helping affiliates with consumers and families provide self-help/support/ advocacy group
- Educating the public to dispel myths and overcome stigmas associated with mental illness
- Building support and understanding for persons with mental illness to open opportunities for them in the communities
- Advocating for the interests of those with mental illness at the state and national governmental
- levels including advocacy for enlightened laws and adequate funds
- Promoting and coordinating a range of support services in the community, including peer support, appropriate housing, income maintenance, employment and training, a social network, medical services, and day programs
- Supporting improved hospital and treatment facilities as part of the range of services
- Promoting research into the physiological, neurological, biochemical and genetic aspects of chronic mental illness that could identify the causes, leading to treatment and prevention
- Coordinating activities with local affiliates and advocacy groups
- Serving as an information collection and dissemination center
- Working with other state mental health organizations
- Soliciting and receiving funds in support of all programs and activities necessary to accomplish the NAMI Nebraska Mission
Advocate at the county, state and national levels for non-discriminatory access to quality healthcare, housing , education and employment for people with mental illness.
- Educate the public about mental illness.
- Work to eliminate the stigma of mental illness.
- Advocate for increased funding for research into the causes and treatment of mental illness.