NAMI Nebraska created an Advocacy Committee to help raise awareness and bring about improvements to mental health care in Nebraska at the state level. Advocating for policy change is a great way to create real change.
-We sponsored a Nebraskan State Senator and Candidates Surveyfor the 2016 Nebraska election titled “Where Do You Stand on These Issues?” This survey included questions about:
- Children’s mental health
- Inpatient psychiatric hospital beds
- Medicaid expansions and/or the Transitional Insurance Program Act
- Mental health care for the elderly
- Mental health care for the homeless
- Mental health care in the criminal justice system
-We also held The Nebraska State Senator’s Breakfast this year and plan to have one next year as well.
We use this time to introduce ourselves to the new Senators and to promote bills that are of interest to NAMI Nebraska. This is an important time to explain what NAMI is and how the group advocates for those affected by mental illness and their families through education and various programs.